"Smartly tailored roadster with sports-machine performance." - "The Motor Cycle" features a road test of the 1961 Ambassador 'Electra 75".
"Smartly tailored roadster...", in reality the 'Electra 75' was basically just an Ambassador Super S model fitted with a Siba electric start, a Villiers 249cc, 4-speed, 2-stroke twin with higher compression and a larger carburetor. Finished in Royal Gold and black and fitted with White Wall tires and then wrapped up like a Triumph Bathtub 350.
Ambassador Motorcycles were founded by Irish motorcycle racer and 1920’s Brooklands star Kaye Don in 1946 as “U.S. Concessionaires Ltd.”, originally started to import American cars. Motorcycle development began with a JAP-powered 494cc vertical twin prototype. In 1947 production started with a 197cc Villiers engine. Smaller Villiers motors proved successful so they continued to be used until 1964. Ambassador was taken over by DMW in 1963 who continued on but with limited production until they closed the company in 1965.
Today in motorcycle history proudly supports the National Association for Bikers with a Disability (NABD). www.nabd.org.uk